Best of Second Life Awards

A few months ago I was informed that I had been nominated for an award from BOSL (Best of Second Life). The category is for Best original artist and tomorrow is the event. I am in a category with a bunch of great artists who you can see below.
=============================
10. BEST ORIGINAL ARTIST
=============================

Bryn Oh
Cherry Manga
Eliza Wierwight
Eshi Otawara
Glyph Graves
Nish Mip
Sharni Azalee

The Best of Second Life is pretty interesting actually (I did some research after I was nominated). Frolic Mills came into Second Life and built up an empire over the course of a few years. Included in this empire you can find THE BEST OF SL MAGAZINE,BOULEVARD MODEL AGENCY, MISS/MR VIRTUAL WORLD ORGANIZATION, THEBOSL.COM, THE FROLIC MILLS SHOW (in partnership with Metaverse TV), BOSLRADIO.COM and the BOSL AWARDS. That's a ton of work running all that and he no doubt has a small army of helpers as well. He could be in some of those categories himself really.
Persia Bravin was kind enough to send me the info below.

"These awards have been created to celebrate the work of content creators from all genres and all nominees were decided by press members, experienced gamers in each field and content creators themselves. No public voting was accepted.

‘The Best Of Second Life’ is owned by Frolic Mills and has grown to become one of the largest and most respected businesses within Second Life.

It was initially born from a simple magazine back in October 2007, when Frolic Mills decided to catalogue his SL life, the work of inspiring creators, interesting sims and the work of fashion designers in SL. Over the years, the magazine has now grown and has over 7,000 kiosks in world, over 5,000 people in group and approximately 11,000 monthly subscribers (plus an external website)


BOSL and Frolic are also the creators of the Miss Virtual World contest which attracts participants from across the grid. In 2010, over 2,000 entries were received and in December 2010, the current reigning MVW - Serene Faith- was crowned. Broadcast via Metaverse TV, the final attracted over 2,500 viewers and the BOSL Awards is anticipated to gain even higher viewing statistics.

In April 2010, BOSL radio was launched to help promote grid wide events, creative talent and to showcase the talent of SL residents. In its first year, BOSL Radio had over 500 guests, broadcast from some groundbreaking events (including RL movie Director Peter Greenway’s speech at a machinima convention) and has assisted dozens of charities to help promote their fundraising objectives."


Further Information:

http://www.thebosl.com/

So now I am going to pick my winners just for fun. Some of the categories I know nothing at all about.


=============================

LIST OF CATEGORIES AND NOMINEES

I have decided to remove a bunch of categories because it was taking me forever to scroll down my blog post. They will no doubt get lots of recognition on fashion sites so I am only doing a mild disservice to them.

=============================
2. BEST SL ARCHITECT
=============================

Cierra Anatine
DB Bailey
Keystone Bouchard
Sergio Botha
Setsuna Infinity
Sweetlemon Jewell

Oh this is a tight one. I would choose between either DB Bailey or Keystone bouchard. In the end though I would pick DB Bailey as his creations really embrace the concept that architecture in a virtual world need not conform to real life rules such as gravity or the need to include stairs when we can fly etc.


=============================
7. BEST ANIMATIONS
=============================

artoo Magneto - AKEYO, daisy Saeed & daiz Papp - Oracul Animations,Modesta Heying - Maldita Animation ,Ramona Criss - MyANIMATION, Vista Barnes - Vista Animations



============================= 
9. BEST PHOTOGRAPHER
=============================

Barney Roundel, Cherie Parker ,Di Hoorenbeek, Julie Hastings, Lulu Jameson, Skip Staheli, Strawberry Singh

=============================
10. BEST ORIGINAL ARTIST
=============================

Bryn Oh
Cherry Manga
Eliza Wierwight
Eshi Otawara
Glyph Graves
Nish Mip
Sharni Azalee

I shouldn't really vote on this one so I will make an alternate list and vote on that instead.

AM Radio
Selavy Oh
Four Yip
Cutea Benelli/Blotto Epsilon
Oberon Onmurra
Rose Borchovski
Kolor Fall

Oh that's a tough list why did I do that to myself? Maybe I should make a third list. Actually no I will just move on to the next category.

=============================
11. BEST ORIGINAL PROJECT
=============================

Amaretto Breedable Horses
Baldtraveller Shan - Altya's Dream Creations
The Dramatiques Performance Troupe
Keira Seerose - Platinum Hunt; Call for Couture
METAVERSE TV
OMGWTF Barbecue - 111 Event
UWA Art Challenge

I think I would pick the UWA Art Challenge or METAVERSE TV.

============================= 
12. BEST LIVE ENTERTAINER
=============================

Christopher135 Quan, CraigLyons Writer, Edward Kyomoon, Maximillion Kleene, Skye Galaxy, Tamra Sands, The Follow

I would go with Skye Galaxy here.


=============================
16. BEST OVERALL SIM
=============================

[pteron]
Cap Estel
Garden of Dreams
Insilico
Majesterium
Seawolf Monsters
Stepford

Hmmm here I would pick Insilico.


=============================
21. AVATAR OF THE YEAR
=============================

Jayjay Zifanwe - President UWA SL
Jessica Lyon - Phoenix viewer
Josaphine Cooperstone - Amaretto Breedables
MamaP Beerbaum - COB Relay For Life 2011
Mimmi Boa - Fashionista extraordinaire
Robustus Hax - Founder Metaverse TV

This is an intriguing one. My sentimental favorite would be JayJay Zifanwe, but I think really it will be Jessica Lyon for the fantastic Phoenix Viwer.

=====================
22. BOSL Award for outstanding contributions to SL
=====================

June Dion
Maddox DuPont
Mankind Tracer
Nicky Ree
Patch Thibaud
Raven Pennyfeather

So as you can see I should never be given the power to vote on anything outside of SL art. I have been having a bit of fun with this, but really I think these kinds of things are important to do to create community and a sense of fun in SL. There are quite a few negative bloggers out there who grumble about everything in SL, so Frolic is probably quite aware that there will be moaning about this as well. In the end though its just kind of nice for each of the avatars on this list to know that people have taken notice of what you do and are appreciative. Anyway, the event is as I said on Saturday April 23rd and runs from 10am SL time to around 1pm or so.

Comments

bibliobibuli said…
Congrats on being on the list, Bryn, and well deserved.

A lot of the names were new to me too and I have been really enjoying doing some exploring to find out what is behind some of the names I didn't know much or anything about - and yes, have come away enriched. That I think is what awards do best.

Anyway, fingers crossed!

Loquacia Loon
Congratulations on your achievement!...Daniel
There wasn't a new post. I just wanted to greet you Happy Easter!...Daniel

Popular Posts